Delta High School
Fast FactsHomepage
Principals Mission Statement
Eaton History Web Project 
Aerial view of Delta High School from 1974, the year the new building opened. The middle school, auxiliary gym, and tennis courts are among the facilities not yet constructed. The small circles in the parking lot at the top center of the photo were circles used for driver's training.

      Delta High School was formed in 1967 as a consolidation of DeSoto, Eaton, and Royerton High Schools in Delaware County, Indiana. The name “Delta” was suggested by Dale DeHaven, a student, and is based on the Greek letter of three equal sides and the word Delaware. The school was housed in the 1937 Royerton High School building from the fall of 1967 until the opening of the present Delta High School building in the fall of 1974. Albany High School students arrived in the fall of 1974.

      The roots of Delta High School go deep into Delaware County’s history. Originally, students in northeastern Delaware County were educated in nearly forty one-room district schoolhouses that dotted Delaware, Hamilton, Niles, and Union Townships. Eventually, consolidated high schools were formed at Eaton (Union Township), Royerton (Hamilton Township), and DeSoto (Delaware Township). Albany High School was under the governance of the School Town of Albany. Students from Niles Township were sent to Eaton, Albany, and Dunkirk high schools.

      The School Reorganization Act of 1959 led to dramatic changes in public education in Indiana. Several conflicting plans were put forward to reorganize the schools of Delaware County. It was not until 1966 that the Delaware Metropolitan School District was formed, including the students of the four townships in northeastern Delaware County. The School Town of Albany joined the district in 1968, and in 1970 the name of the district was changed to the Delaware Community School Corporation (See Corporation Timeline).

      Ground was broken for a new 213,000 square foot building to house Delta High School in March 1972. The building opened in September 1974 and was dedicated on November 17, 1974, with Dr. Harold H. Negley, State Superintendent of Public Instruction, as the speaker. The building, originally constructed as an open concept school, was extensively remodeled to create enclosed classrooms in 1992. An auxiliary gymnasium was constructed in 1997.

      Delta High School has long been regarded as a school with an excellent tradition in academics, the fine arts, and athletics. Many excellent teachers have taught and continue to teach at Delta. Delta High School has also produced a large number of graduates who have been very successful in their chosen fields. The administration, faculty, staff, patrons, and students of Delta are very proud to play a part in continuing the tradition of excellence.